Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Book

The very first book I have read in the mother tongue of Shakespeare was "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. "Her book blends Gothic horror and romance in a story that is both world-famous and increasinlgy relevant." such a summary one can find on the jacket.
I was 17 when I started reading this piece of literature (still 17 when finished, means success!). First I've seen the movie with the same title, and inspired by that, decided to read the book. Right.... Uhmm... Well, I managed to finish it, but swearing like a trooper (yes, yes, yes, shame on me;)). But I was bucking for the status "mission accomplished", stubborn (speaking about tenacity, I'm wondering where the heck it is now, when the finals and deadlines are coming??) Due to my rather poor knowledge of English at the age of 17 it took me quite a lot of time, but I was so proud when I finished the book. Actually it was like reading two books sometimes, "Frankenstein" and the English-Polish dictionary ;)
Well, despide the quite obvious fact that my understanding of English is nowadays a bit better then those ages ago, I do not fancy reading about the mad doctor and his achievement once again. I feel rather like focusing on some up-to-date stuff: Zadie Smith, Stephen King, Penny Ur ;)

No comments: